TransACT shared servers

Michael James michael at james.st
Sun Mar 24 00:16:07 EST 2002

jepri at webone.com.au asked what had happened to plans
 for TransACT shared servers and DNS.

Reading the RFC for pppoe made me wonder if we could set up
 our home servers to accept pppoe connections
 and connect direct through the TransACT cloud.

The pppoe protocol has 4 phases.  Viewed from the client side:

1)	Broadcast service request looking for servers, to MAC FFFFF...
2)	Get back directed replies from servers
	  that can fulfil the service request.
3)	Choose server and send directed service request, to MAC SE:RV:ER:MA
4)	Negotiate PPP connection and bring up link.

Now the Marconi FLX modem can support multiple pppoe connections,
 I don't know if the set-top box can.

I haven't sniffed but assume that TransACT don't let the broadcasts
 go out through the network to every home.

Which knocks out steps 1 and 2 (the discovery phase).

But IF the server MAC was known already why not start at 3.

Do the central switches allow directed packets between clients?

If they did, we could connect direct.

A real fixed IP server could broker MAC addresses
 and we would have to hack the roaring penguin
 to cook up the appropriate service request.

Thewe need a proxy setup that says,
 "You can have it if it's in the cache,
 but if it isn't and you do get it,
 please upload the copy you got."

On that basis I'd be happy to host distros.

michaelj
--
A right not exercised is a privilege
a privilege not exercised is illegal.

Michael James			michael at james.st
8 Brennan St			Phone: +61 2 6247 2556
Hackett, ACT 2602		Mobile: +61 4 1747 4065
AUSTRALIA			Fax: +61 2 6278 0011