Help with configuring my keyboard.

Matthew Hawkins matthew at topic.com.au
Wed Mar 20 20:05:44 EST 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Damien Elmes wrote:
> > I wouldn't use "microsoft" unless you actually have a real Microsoft
> > keyboard (like those annoying split ones).  What I believe most people
> > have (this includes you, from your description there) is what XFree86
> > calls "pc104".  Some other keyboards are supported also, for example
> > many logitech keyboards.
>
> What's the difference? I'm using the microsoft keyset here.

Well, its like saying your mouse has the "microsoft" protocol when it
actually has the "mousesystems" one.  Though not quite as amusing.

What essentially happens is that you get the wrong symbols and geometry
loaded, so you run the risk of having your keys mapped wrong by default.
It actually took a bit of trial and error to find the right combo for my
insane keyboard at home, so I know all about loading the wrong files ;)

Naturally the more common keys won't be affected, but it's silly having
the "Play" button fire up a web browser, and the Mail button skip to the
next track on the jukebox, etc.

--
Matt