Help with configuring my keyboard.

Matthew Hawkins matthew at topic.com.au
Wed Mar 20 12:33:27 EST 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Felix Karpfen wrote:
>     #To set the LeftAlt to Meta, RightAlt key to ModeShift,
>     #RightCtl key to Compose, and ScrollLock key to ModeLock:
>
>     LeftAlt        Meta
>     RightAlt        Meta
>    ScrollLock      Compose
>    RightCtl        Control
> ****IS THIS TRUE?******
> If so, just how does the ScrollLock work?

This is really nasty.  Mapping the Alt keys to Meta is a huge mistake.
Especially if you're going to be using EMACS.  Remember - ESC Meta Alt
Control Shift - they're all separate keys.

> # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
> # lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
> # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
> #    XkbModel    "pc102"
>
> # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
> #    XkbModel    "microsoft"
>
> ****DO I HAVE THAT?***
> My keyboard has (on the bottom line) 2 Microsoft Windows keys and 1
> Microsoft `Start' key.

I wouldn't use "microsoft" unless you actually have a real Microsoft
keyboard (like those annoying split ones).  What I believe most people
have (this includes you, from your description there) is what XFree86
calls "pc104".  Some other keyboards are supported also, for example
many logitech keyboards.

What I'd like to know is if I can get an adapter for a Sun keyboard to
plug into my PC, and use "sun4" or whatever instead.

>    XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
>    XkbTypes        "default"
>    XkbCompat       "default"
>    XkbSymbols      "us(pc101)"
>    XkbGeometry     "pc"
>    XkbRules        "xfree86"
>     XkbModel        "pc101"
>     XkbLayout       "us"
> EndSection
> ****ANYTHING NEED < CHANGING | ADDING > HERE?****

This is what I use:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xfree86"
        Option      "XkbModel" "itouch"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

(I have a Logitech Corded Deluxe Access (tm) and it shares most
keymappings with the Logitech iTouch, funnily enough)

At home I have a Honeywell, and I have "XkbModel" set to "pc104" This
gives me Meta_L and Meta_R (separate to Alt_L and Alt_R), and Menu.
Meta_L is usually aka mod4 and you can do all sorts of useful things with
these extra keys.  I like binding Menu to bring up the root window menu
in my window manager, and all wm commands bar workspace switching (for
consistency with console) have mod4 as the modifier key.  Many apps like
to use Alt or Ctrl as a special modifier, and this way my wm won't override.

The other thing I get by default by configuring XFree86 properly is the
extra so-called "internet" keys on the keyboard automagically mapped
nicely.  This logitech board has 3 such keys labelled WWW, Mail and
Search.  They get mapped to XF86HomePage, XF86Mail and XF86Search
respectively, three more keys I can bind in my window manager to do
useful things.  At home on the Honeywell I've got over 12 extra keys to
control music and stuff, they all get mapped properly too though I
believe I had to use xmodmap on a couple of them as the Honeywell isn't
quite natively supported.

It's pretty sweet to control the jukebox on the other side of the room
via HTTP with single keypresses.

--
Matt