Colour maps

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at bigpond.com
Wed Mar 20 01:43:07 EST 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 9:10 pm, Jeremy wrote:
> For those games that need 16 or 8 bit colour depth on the X server.  Is
> there any tricky way to get them to run, maybe using Xnest or
> something?  I can't believe I need to edit my Xconfig to play the game.
>

> Failing that could someone rattle off the right way to start an X
> server on another 'vterm', say vt8?

I frequently have a couple of versions of X running - my main one with
Xinerama, and sometimes another in single screen mode for games etc (since
the Matrox G400 does not support DRI and Xinerama simultaneously).

I tend to run the programs requiring DRI directly from xinit, as it saves
having two window managers running etc.

For example:

$ cat /usr/local/bin/armagetron
#!/bin/bash

cd /usr/local/games/armagetron

/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit ./armagetron -- :`/usr/local/bin/nextdisplay`
-xf86config XF86Config.800

[note: the above two lines should be a single line]

Where /usr/local/bin/nextdisplay is:

$ cat /usr/local/bin/nextdisplay
#!/bin/bash
displayfound="n"
while [ x"$displayfound" = x"n" ]
do
        if ! [ -f /tmp/.X$n-lock ]
        then displayfound="y"
        fi
        n=$((n+1))
done
echo $n

and XF86Config.800 is an XF86Config file with Xinerama turned off and the
screen resolution reduced to 800x600.

Each new instance of X will just appear on a higher vterm.

Alternately, you could edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers (if using xdm / kdm) or the
[servers] section of /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf to have additional servers (with
possibly different configurations) started by [x|k|g]dm.

I'm sure there are other possibilities too.  ;-)

Cheers,

Rasjid.

PS. Sorry if this turns up twice.  My original had an incorrect date.