Colour maps summary

Jeremy jepri at webone.com.au
Wed Mar 20 01:20:46 EST 2002

Thanks to all who responded, here are the results for those who may be
interested:

*Xnest won't run at a different colour depth to the host server
*vnc isn't quite the solution because I still need an xserver running
at different colour depth to play on

The winner was Steven's short but to the point 'startx -- -depth 16 :1'

I did forget to mention that the game was ale-clone.  I went off and
got the new version (freecraft) which just kept crashing on me.  I then
grabbed egoboo, which insisted on running at .02 frame per second.  So
much for my big night of Linux gaming.  Looks like we have a little way
to go before Linux becomes the dominant games machine. :(

I agree that patching the game was the best choice (in this case
getting the new version), but that xserver thing was something I had
really wanted to know for some time now, so thanks all who responded.