Colour maps

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Tue Mar 19 22:49:06 EST 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 09:10:40PM +1100, Jeremy wrote:
> For those games that need 16 or 8 bit colour depth on the X server.  Is
> there any tricky way to get them to run, maybe using Xnest or
> something?  I can't believe I need to edit my Xconfig to play the game.

probably not within one session, and xnest will decrease any performance of a
fgame to a crawl anyway I suspect (guessing here)

> Failing that could someone rattle off the right way to start an X
> server on another 'vterm', say vt8?

startx -- -depth 16 :1

puts it on the next free console and makes it X display 1 on the machine with
a depth of 16 (used to be -bpp I wonder if that also still works)

       See You
           Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh
You are subtle as a window pane standing in my view