Suggestions on Distributions

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Tue Mar 19 18:42:03 EST 2002

"Bolin, Robert" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm hoping not to start a religious flame war by my question, but I thought
> I would try to plumb the collective wisdom.
>
> I have a p166 with 64Mb RAM, a 10Gb hard disk and the obligatory CD-ROM (8x
> I think). I have had a number of different Redhat distributions installed
> over the last little while (RH7.2 ATM), however my machine tended to run
> like molasses in KDE and worse in  Gnome. I have read in a number of sources
> that many distributions are going down a "feature-rich" (or feature bloat
> depending on your view) style. I was going to install Sorcerer GNU/Linux,
> but I ran into some problems and discovered that they have withdrawn their
> distribution due to unspecified disrespectful behaviour.
>
> Can anyone make some suggestions as to which distribution I might install
> where my system doesn't take a minute or two to open a window of an already
> running application (no I am not exaggerating). System is mainly being used
> for internet and some games (mah-jongg, freecell and the like). Can anyone
> make suggestions?
>
> Rob

I run RH7.2 on a 32MB P166 Laptop.  I found, like you, that with KDE or Gnome,
response is abysmal. I opted to use fvwm instead and it runs "adequately"
(I use it as a console in the network room to configure switches etc. and
to run a browser for the same reason). Opens a new xterm in a second or so.
Not too bad. I use mozilla as the browser.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.