a debian sshd question

Anthony David adavid at adavid.com.au
Sat Mar 16 10:32:54 EST 2002

rob shugg <rshugg at kinetitech.com.au> writes:

> when I connect to my debian box with ssh it takes about 2 minutes to
> authenticate with password login. the setup is bog standard as installed
> by apt.

Does your client host IP address reverse resolve on the ssh server?

> also
> I have tried to set up the public key auth with the .ssh/known_hosts and
> .ssh/authorized_keys file containg the relavent keys from the client but
> it still asks for a password when it connects

Check that there is is reverse resolution of the IP address to the host
name in the authorised key eg for rob at client client IP say 192.168.12.5
resolves to client (eg /etc/hosts entry for client) and hosts is before
bind in /etc/hosts.conf and/or files before dns in /etc/nsswitch.conf

HTH

--
Anthony David

Gambling(n): A discretionary tax on those asleep during high school maths
http://adavid.com.au/
0xA72CE1ED fingerprint = EA1E C69E FE59 BBE1 AA4B  F354 BD09 9765 A72C E1ED