Debian package question

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Sun Mar 10 18:08:35 EST 2002

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 01:57:02AM +1100, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> I do not yet know of any way to find a debian package that contains a
> particular file, unless that package happens to be installed already - in
> which case you can use dpkg to show which package the already-installed
> file belongs to.

There is another way if you have a CD from which you installed Debian. Look
around for a Contents.gz file. It contains a list of [filename] [package]
for every package in Debian.

It's the same list used by the File Find on the Debian website.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/