Bigpond Non-standard Dialup Authentication

Drake Diedrich dld at coyote.com.au
Sat Mar 9 16:18:51 EST 2002

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 07:02:27AM +1100, Glen Cunningham wrote:
> Hi CLUGers,
>     Have searched the list-archives and "Googled" for hours, 'cause I was
> sure that I saw the answer on this list recently, so, can someone refresh
> my failing memory please.
>     What is the "trick"/script-mod to get Linux dialup connections to
> correctly authenticate with bogpong?  I seem to recall that it was a simple
> as adding/removing an asterisk in a secrets file?

   This is what's in my chap-secrets on a BP Direct machine.  I've got a few
BP dialup machines as well, but they aren't dialed up at the moment.
Nothing unusual that I can think of, othher than not specifying the dialup
hostname (the *), since that isn't known ahead of time.

/etc/ppp/chap-secrets
---------------------
username * password

/etc/ppp/options
----------------
noauth
crtscts
modem

/etc/ppp/peers/telstra
----------------------
noauth
name username
asyncmap 0
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/telstra"
defaultroute
/dev/ttyS1
115200
persist
debug

(delete the persist option for a non-permanent dialup like)

/etc/chatscripts/telstra
------------------------
ABORT        BUSY
ABORT        "NO CARRIER"
ABORT        VOICE
ABORT        "NO DIALTONE"
TIMEOUT 200
''      ATZ
ECHO ON
OK      ATL2W1X4Q0V1
OK      AT%E2
OK           ATDT62149900
CONNECT ''

(dialup uses a different number than this, the local exchange for permanent
lines)

   Most of this can be written using pppconfig, so there's not usually any
need to even know what's in these files.

-Drake