Debian package question

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Sat Mar 9 14:55:48 EST 2002

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 02:58:44PM +1100, Damien Elmes wrote:

> Grant Morphett <grant at gmorph.com> writes:
>
> > So I have my debian system and I know its missing a certain file.  Could be a
> > header file or an exe file - whatever.  How do I determine which package that
> > file is in so I can then install that package?
>
> dpkg -S file
>
> for packages that you've got on your system.
>
> apt-cache search foo
>
> for descriptions in the package
>
> and join #debian on irc.openprojects.net, /msg apt find file
> for it to search the entire package lists for the file. i don't think there's a
> shortcut way of doing that (if there is, someone fill me in)

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

has a search the contents of packages form, which could probably be used
remotely pretty easily, or just open that page in a web browser and use it,
much simpler than hopping on irc.

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh
You are subtle as a window pane standing in my view