X, nvidia, memory

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 7 14:24:15 EST 2002

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 12:40, Greg O'Keefe wrote:
> Can anyone explain this (top display):
<snip>
> In particular, how come it says X is using 160M of swap when I only have
> 128M, and none of it is used? I'd say its something to do with the
> drivers for my new geforce II MX200.
I can't explain it with confidence, but a bit of handwaving says that SIZE is
total mapped address space, RSS is physical space in use, and SWAP is the
difference. So it is the driver mapping a whole lot of address space for the
hardware.

People who understand concepts like virtually contiguous memory can probably
explain this a lot better. However if you are using the closed source
drivers, don't ask on linux-kernel or similar mailing lists, except perhaps
to troll.

Brad