Open Source GIS

Simon Haddon simon at sibern.com.au
Fri Mar 1 12:06:30 EST 2002

I've just recently (as in last week) being grabbing a lot of this
software to install on my server.  If I can get it all working properly
then I plan to install it on my web hosting servers (just a quick plug).

I'm also writing (read: about to start) a functionally equivalent Custom
tag to the one that is used by ESRI for their ArcIMS stuff.  The first
stab will be in ColdFusion (cause I know it) and the second will be to
make a PHP tag if I can work out how.

Further note. I have now got the demo working for mapserver.  It is quite
good and looks like it covers the basic stuff like layers, legends,
Active layer, zoom, pan, etc. And do things like acetate layers, scale
bars, and dynamic map files.

On 1/03/02, 9:56:10 AM, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote regarding Open
Source GIS:

> URLs from last night. By no means complete as I cobbled
> it together after work and before CLUG.

> http://www.dmsolutions.ca have some very pretty demonstration apps.

> Cheers,

> Antti

> Software:
> Mapserver http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu
> GRASS (recently GPL'ed)
> Open GIS Consortium http://www.opengis.org (WMS standards etc.)
> PostGIS (spatial datatypes for PostgreSQL) http://postgis.refractions.net
> GDAL (Geographic Data Abstraction Library)
http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal (support for 27 raster formats, GeoTIFF,
ESRI, ECW, PNG, USGS)
> OGR http://gdal.vlocet.ca/ogrhtml (support for vector data types,
MapInfo, ESRI Shape, TIGER, SDTS, OGDI)
> Proj.4 http://freshmeat.net/projects/proj.4/ (Cartographic projection
support)
> FreeGIS http://www.freegis.org (a whole lot more resources)

> Some relevant standards:
> WMS (Web Map Server) OGC's Web Map Server Interfaces Implementation
Specification