transact vpn- vapourware private network

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Fri Jun 28 17:39:54 EST 2002

Rob Shugg wrote:

> I just got off the phone to transact regarding VPNs or Citylink.
> The guy said it wont be available for at least 2 months and they are not
> sure what it will cost but that it wont be free, Apparently its "very
> complex" and still under development. In the mean time you can set it up
> with Webone. The trouble is this requires two webone accounts and I just
> want to set up one for my business and then share it between home offices
> though the vpn.
>
> At this stage i'm feeling a bit shafted by transact. they have promised this
> all allong and for free, thats the main reason i chose to go with them. I'm
> sure there are others on the list that will be cheesed off by this. any
> suggestions on a course of action.
>
> rob

I have been waiting since September last year (many on this list will
remember that I organised for Robin Eckermann and others from TransACT
to address CLUG, primarily on this very issue).

I have written (e-mail) advice from a TransACT account manager that they
will refund the TransWeb component of my subscription if they do not
provide the free peer-peer service in a timely fashion. I am almost ready
to call that in now.

Some will remember that Michael Smarsz from TransACT wrote to this list
only 2 weeks ago on this very subject. This gave me just enough confidence
to wait a little while longer. Note that in his e-mail (attached below)
he specifically refers to a "free p2p network", but then later, referring
to "TransCity" it becomes "The p2p network". Possibly TransACT are planning
two p2p networks, a "free" one and "TransCity". Who can tell.

If this keeps up much longer, I will be cancelling my TransACT service
upon it's 12 month anniversary (at which time I will no longer be under
obligation to repay anything for the free installation).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.