rxvt + screen

Damien Elmes clug at repose.cx
Thu Jun 27 18:34:53 EST 2002

Andreas Bauer <baueran at in.tum.de> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 09:41:45AM +1000, Nemo - earth native wrote:
>> > impossible scrolling back using Shift+Pg-Up when screen runs within rxvt.
>> > I also tried screen within xterm and that worked like a charm...
>>
>> Curious. shift+pgup activates, by default, the terminals scrollback -
>> which is independant of screen's scrollback. I live in screen all the
>> time, and shift-pgup has never scrolled back my screen session,
>> regardless of terminal. (maybe there is a screen config for this?)
>
> I know it sounds odd, but it gets even weirder than this:  when I start
> screen at a later point of time (ie when rxvt's buffer is already plenty
> full) then scroll-back suddenly works...

I'm pretty sure that's not strange at all. RXVT has a different scrollback
buffer to screen. Screen does not scroll RXVT's scrollback buffer when
updating the screen - if you want to scroll up, you have to do it in screen,
not RXVT.

>> I always use ^A-[ in screen to enter copy mode, and then ^u abd ^d to
>> scroll up and down a half-page at a time. esc-esc will quit copy mode
>> and return you to where you were.
>
> Ah, thank you.  That indeed works, but it feels somewhat strange to me
> having to enter "copy mode" before I can scroll around.  For now this
> solution will do though.  :-)

If you're using screen for its multi-terminal facilities rather than its
detachable facilities, it might be worth checking out multi-gnome-terminal.
Coupled with some sawfish bindings to jump to it / open a new terminal, it's
very handy.

http://repose.cx/conf/.sawfishrc for an example.

Cheers,

--