Poor sound quality under linux?

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Wed Jun 26 22:45:47 EST 2002

David Gibson (david at gibson.dropbear.id.au) wrote:
> Are you using esd (mixing daemon)?  It's dodgy.

In more ways than one.  Does it still not check the return value of
write()ing to /dev/dsp?  That's a "fun" bug.

The other thing to check is case noise/interference.  Don't let
non-appearance in MS-Windows fool you into complacency.

Oh, on audio in general I highly recommend getting good headphones.
I have a pair of Roland RH-50's I got thrown in with my Yamaha P120s -
the range is excellent and they take a bit if beating
*cough*damndefaultvolumesettofullblast*cough*.  The gold contacts fit
well with the gold contacts on the back of my AWE64 - so good, in fact,
I do hear case noise through the headphones :/

--
Matt