Linux PPC and ia32 FreeBSD development configs

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 25 20:26:48 EST 2002

G'day all,

I'm working on the zeroconf networking stuff some more, and I'd like to have a
FreeBSD box to test it on. I'm thinking of dual booting my current scratch
box to do this (after a little parted magic). I'm not sure I understand the
FreeBSD devel philosphy though. Are development boxes supposed to be kept up
to date using CVS (or CVSup)? Or is the normal approach to use individual
tarballs when required?

Also, I've got a PPC (newworld iMac) that I'd like to get back into active
service. I've traditionally used rpm based distros (RH and mandrake), and
think that maybe a Debian box would be worth learning. However previous
installations (YDL failed, and Linux PPC2000) have been pretty rough, and
everything I've heard about Debian doesn't fill me with confidence. I've got
plenty of ADSL bandwidth, I just need to get it started (then I can just use
some apt-get magic, right?). If I bring the iMac in on Thursday, can someone
knock it into shape?

Brad

--
http://conf.linux.org.au. 22-25Jan2003. Perth, Australia. Birds in Black.