suse 8 sendmail woes

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Tue Jun 25 19:30:57 EST 2002

At 3:45 PM +1000 2002/06/25, Pietro Abate wrote:
>Hi.
>I don't know about suse, but if you use MAIL_HUB instead of SMART_HOST
>everything should be fine. The other problem with your configuration is
>that you should put localhost in local-host-names (in /etc/mail) ...

Since sendmail is not listening it can never respond to a connection to localhost which is what it is trying to do.  Even if it was listening I can't think of a good outcome of sendmail trying to connect to localhost.  If it is not accepting the mail then localhost is not going to accept it either!

I don't want this machine to accept any mail or deliver any mail to itself so I don't want localhost anywhere.

>hope it helps.

>On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 02:49:11PM +1000, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> I'm trying to configure sendmail 8.12.3/SuSE Linux 0.6 on suse 8.0.  I
>> have simple requirements which worked fine in suse 7+.  I want the
>> machine to not listen for mail and to forward everything to another
>> machine including local mail.
>
>--
>pgp key: 1024D/8A091922 2000-10-18
>Pietro Abate <abateNoMoReSpAm at students.cs.unibo.it>
>Key fingerprint = 5111 D91B 5E0C 5CE6 FDA3  5EF4 6120 E18E 8A09 1922
>public key avalaible via public key server at wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net

Kim Holburn  Network Consultant  P: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)