suse 8 sendmail woes

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Tue Jun 25 14:49:11 EST 2002

I'm trying to configure sendmail 8.12.3/SuSE Linux 0.6 on suse 8.0.  I have simple requirements which worked fine in suse 7+.  I want the machine to not listen for mail and to forward everything to another machine including local mail.

Things I have changed in various files:

/etc/sysconfig/mail:
-----------------------
SMTPD_LISTEN_REMOTE="no"
-----------------------

/etc/sysconfig/sendmail:
-----------------------
SENDMAIL_SMARTHOST="smtp:smarty.anu.edu.au"
SENDMAIL_LOCALHOST=""
SENDMAIL_RELAY="smarty.anu.edu.au"
SENDMAIL_ARGS="-Am -q30m -om"
SENDMAIL_CLIENT_ARGS="-L sendmail-client -Ac -q30m"
-----------------------

the sendmail.cf file:
---------------------
# smart relay host
DSsmarty.anu.edu.au.

# who I send unqualified names to (null means deliver locally)
DRsmarty.anu.edu.au.

# who gets all local email traffic ($R has precedence for unqualified names)
DHsmarty.anu.edu.au.
---------------------

but when I do this and restart sendmail I get this:

# echo test22|mail -v -s test22 kim
kim... Connecting to localhost.anu.edu.au. via relay...
kim... Deferred: Connection refused by localhost.anu.edu.au.
#
grrrr...

Before I give up and install postfix I thought I'd ask on the list to see if anyone had any ideas.

Kim Holburn  Network Consultant  Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)