Mailman on Red Hat 7.3

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Jun 25 13:49:51 EST 2002

On Tuesday, June 25, 2002, at 11:56 , Andrew Pollock wrote a message
which was flagged by SpamAssassin:

> SPAM: -------------------- Start SpamAssassin
> results ----------------------
> SPAM: This mail is probably spam.  The original message has been altered
> SPAM: so you can recognise or block similar unwanted mail in future.
> SPAM: See http://spamassassin.org/tag/ for more details.
> SPAM:
> SPAM: Content analysis details:   (5 hits, 5 required)
> SPAM: Hit! (2.0 points)  Received via a relay in relays.osirusoft.com
> SPAM:                    [RBL check: found
> 226.73.83.202.relays.osirusoft.com., type: 127.0.0.4]
> SPAM: Hit! (3.0 points)  DNSBL: sender is Confirmed Spam Source
> SPAM:
> SPAM: -------------------- End of SpamAssassin
> results ---------------------

I think that's referring to daedalus.andrew.net.au:
[202.83.73.226]) by relay.iseek.com.au

You won't get responses to people who have spam filters in place.
Consider changing ISPs, or if that network is actually yours,

> It was because /var/log was owned by root:bin and was mode 0700 so the
> average
> process couldn't get to /var/log to get to /var/log/mailman
>
> Just wondering if he had an unusual permission set or if the package
> for Red Hat
> 7.3 is broken in terms of permissions or setuid users or something.

Seems like odd permissions to me.  Someone's tried being too tight with
permissions - I'd suggest making the directory at least readable and
executable by the group (make the group "loggers"), and add mailman to
that group.