New clug website?

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 20 14:01:18 EST 2002

Damien Elmes wrote:

> Bob Edwards <Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au> writes:
>
> > The way we are setting it up is with two bin directories: one protected
> > by basic auth using LDAP with all bins and the other unprotected with the
> > edit etc. bins removed.
> >
> > This means that anyone can read/search etc. any page, but to
> > edit/create/change
> > etc. pages you need to be authenticated.
> >
> > However, the TWiki documentation makes it clear that they believe that you
> > shouldn't stop anyone from editing anything. An interesting social
> > experiment.
>
> The interesting thing is that it mostly works! I've seen wikis available from
> sawfish to emacs to a seattle wireless broadband group, and never encountered
> inappropriate material. That's not to say it never happens, but by making the
> content really easy to update, you encourage people to make changes.
>
> --
> Damien Elmes

Actually, I have since set up our authentication and the two bin
directories idea is unnecessary and complicated. Instead, the standard
TWiki distribution includes an example .htaccess file which prevents
some of the executables from being used without authentication. This is
now the way we have it set up (we have a lot of students some of whom
might feel very tempted to leave _interesting_ messages for each other
on an unprotected site).

So, authentication is pretty easy. Modifying templates is pretty easy.
Setting it all up and making it work is pretty easy. Version control
happens for free, as does indexing and searching etc. I think I like it.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.