device driver info

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 19 09:08:58 EST 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:29, Simon Burton wrote:
> Hello good CLUGers,
Only evil CLUGers at this time of the day...

> How do i find what driver is connected
> to what device file?
> something in /proc?
Do you mean "given the major and minor numbers", tell me what driver uses this
on this kernel?"
You can't (AFAIK) do this in general. There are a few entries available in
different files:
[bradh at localhost bradh]$ cat /proc/bus/usb/drivers
         usbdevfs
         hub
 96-111: hiddev
         hid
         usb-storage
         catc
[bradh at localhost bradh]$ cat /proc/misc
175 agpgart
  1 psaux
134 apm_bios

You may have some joy with Documentation/devices.txt in your kernel tarball
too.

> How to find what parameters a driver
> accepts ("dma=1" "joystick=0x200" etc.) ?
modinfo is probably what you are looking for. Here is a (purely random)
example:

[bradh at localhost bradh]$ /sbin/modinfo CDCEther
filename:    /lib/modules/2.4.19-pre6/kernel/drivers/usb/CDCEther.o
author:      "Brad Hards and another"
parm:        multicast_filter_limit int, description "CDCEther maximum number
of filtered multicast addresses"

HTH
Brad
--