Fw: Modems

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Wed Jun 19 11:33:37 EST 2002

Alan (bigal at smartchat.net.au) wrote:
> One vendor sold me a 'D-Link DFM-560i+' and told me that it was a 'hardware' modem.
> Unfortunately after wasting half a day on it I have come to the conclusion that it isn't

http://www.dlink.com.au/products/modems/dfm560i/

It's a winmodem.  I suspect you've got grounds to reclaim your money
that was taken away under false pretences.

D-Link's 560E (the external version of the same modem) doesn't claim to
be a winmodem so you might have better luck with that.   I prefer to
support the local boys though and get a Maestro.  In any case, I
wouldn't buy such a thing anymore since it's like getting a Ferrari 125
S in preference to the 575M Maranello.

If you like conspiracy theories, it goes something like "hardware vendor
that doesn't conform to Microsoft's practices doesn't get the drivers
for their gear shipped with MS Windows hence most people won't buy their
stuff".  It's all part of the illegal monopoly thing.

--
Matt