Heatsink compounds

Simon Haddon simon at sibern.com.au
Tue Jun 18 22:46:38 EST 2002

On 18/06/02, 18:25:29, Rasjid Wilcox <rasjidw at openminddev.net> wrote
regarding Heatsink compounds:

> Just bought a new motherboard and Athlon CPU from the fair.  I've never
put my
> own system together, so I'm unsure about the best thing to do with the
> Heatsink compound.  It is Stars-700 and says it is 10% silver.

> http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=803 suggests that I
should
> only use a very little on the core, or since it is an AMD processor,
perhaps
> not at all.

I just bought a AMD 1600+ to mount on an MSI 745 Chipset board.  I didn't
read the frostytech web site and put heaps on.  I was having trouble
getting the motherboard to recognise the CPU as an "Athlon XP 1600+" so I
too the chip out to reseat it thinking that was the problem (which it
wasn't) and ended getting that silver goo all over my fingers and the
back of the CPU.  It is foul stuff and hard to clean up.

Anyway, I haven't had any problems with with overheating and I used a
small dab in the centre that I just let get squashed out when the heat
sink/fan was fitted.