Connection Is Lost!!

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Jun 17 18:26:23 EST 2002

On Monday, June 17, 2002, at 04:51 , Irena and Richard Jenkins wrote:

> The above was taken from /var/log/messages    AFTER the session.
>
> I did NOT voluntarily close the session.

Turn off call waiting.  Disconnect any Touchphones (the white ones) that
are connected to the same phone line.  Check with your ISP that your
bill is paid.  Make sure that other phones connected to the same line
are securely on-hook, or else unplugged. Don't use telephone extension
cables.  Try different cables.

The call waiting tones will interfere with most modems to the point that
one end will give up and disconnect.

The Touchphones draw power from the telephone line every 15 minutes or
so to keep their memory battery charged, in such a way that makes your
modem think the other end has hung up (or something to that effect - all
I know is, connect Touchphones to the "phone" socket of the modem, and
not a double adaptor).

Although it's unlikely from your description, it may be possible that
your ISP is disconnecting you because your account isn't valid.  If you
had debugging turned on ("debug" in the ppp options file), you'd see
something like "connection terminated by peer."

I've had a wall-mounted phone that would go off-hook if the wind blew
the house in a particular way - the extra pufteenth of a degree was
enough for the cordless handset to decide it had been picked up, so it
would go off-hook, thus degrading the signal quality, causing the modem
to hangup.

Extension cables might have corroded or twisted contacts which lose
contact if the cable is disturbed.

You might have cables with dodgey connectors that lose contact if the
cable is disturbed.

Actually, a good place to start is to turn debugging on ("debug" in the
ppp options file), and see if you can find anything more from that.

Alex

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to
choose from"
     -- Andrew Tanenbaum