Unplug a mouse and lose it

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Jun 14 08:55:45 EST 2002

On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 06:07 , Bob Edwards wrote:

> Michael James wrote:
>
>> Imagine a Video card pumping the display out as X windows over ethernet
>>  that had link cables to control the keyboard, mouse and reset
>> directly.
>
> Actually, you _do_ want VNC. Simon explained one situation. You want a
> different situation. Run the Windoze VNC server on your windows machine
> and then take over control of it from your linux machine.

The only thing that you won't be able to do is control the reset switch
remotely.

Think about it for a moment - you're going to need some kind of software
to manipulate the reset switch.  If the machine is crashed, what
software is going to run to reset that machine?  The only way to really
handle this is a hardware watchdog timer.

We used VNC as a cheap alternative to KVM switches at my old workplace.
The servers were locked away in a little room so the managers wouldn't
keep wanting to sit new staff in front of these machines that are "doing
nothing".

But as Bob said, what you described is *exactly* what VNC provides.

Alex