Unplug a mouse and lose it

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Thu Jun 13 22:57:24 EST 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:26 pm, Ben Elliston wrote:

>   Damien> .. So basically, I'm wondering if there's something analogous to
> the win32 VNC Damien> server for linux?
>
> Sure.  There are VNC servers for most plaforms.

Actually, I think what Damien wants *is* slightly different from the standard
VNC usage under Linux.

Normally a VNC server starts a new 'virtual' Xserver, with a new display
number.  I think what Damein is after is a VNC session that mirrors an
existing 'real' X session.  This way we can avoid the 'double' X server
situation required to view a VNC session locally.

I did a quick search on google, and found x0rfbserver.
http://www.hexonet.de/software/x0rfbserver/

It looks like a seriously dead project, but combined with VNC may do what
Damien wants.  And it is GPL, so if it works then great, and if it needs
fixing, it can be fixed (but probably not by me).  :-)

I'm sure I recall seeing something else recently about displaying an existing
X display on a different display, but I can't recall just where at the
moment.

Cheers,

Rasjid.