Free internet at my house!

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 13 12:11:49 EST 2002

Use routing instead of bridging onto your wireless network (you will
have to use NAT in any case to get onto your ADSL link). Then use
CIPE for your encryption/authentication - works fine on Linux (comes
standard in RH7.2 and 7.3) and Win2k, doesn't work for Win98 though.

Can use DHCP easily (useful if you also want to use your wireless
laptop on other networks). Basically, set up another subnet (other
than the one you are using for your wired network) and ocnfigure
the DHCP server to issue IP addresses onto that subnet. Better to
use a "fixed-address" for your laptop as then the CIPE startup can
always know that it is using the same IP address.

This is more or less how I have it set up at home.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.