Free internet at my house!

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Jun 12 21:14:33 EST 2002

On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 08:56 , Mark Purcell wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 06:50:15PM +1000, Michael Still wrote:
>>  - I would still like to use DHCP for ip addresses on wireless machines
>>    (denial of service on the IP address range doesn't bother me much)
>
> [Not using DHCP] Means that I'm not setting up everything for the
> potential drive-by surfer.

But at the same time, it's nice to have a wireless link that's
relatively convenient for visitors - such as other CLUGgers ;)

>>  - I'm most concerned with people yoinking ADSL bandwidth than
>> protecting
>>    my internal network, which is fairly secure...
>
> The other suggestion is don't ipforward/NAT from the wireless net, if
> you can get away with it just setup a number of proxy applications
> like socks on the firewall and unless they authenticate to the proxy
> first they don't get out.

Sounds like a good idea - probably a little easier to implement than my
previous suggestion about the two-level network
(http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/wireless/2001-December/003482.html).