TransACT 5 months in...

Mark Purcell mark at purcell.homeip.net
Wed Jun 12 19:50:41 EST 2002

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 08:29:58AM +1000, Neil Muller wrote:
> BTW if you need more than 2 phone lines to your home (I run my business from my
> home) then make sure you organise it with Transact when they are doing their
> initial install. The standard Transact installation only supports 2 phone lines
> and Transact charge the full $250 to come out and put additional lines in after
> they've connected you the first time.

Is it just me who finds this mildly ironic. TransACT offer something like
50 Mbps over the VDSL pair and then go and supply additional pairs
for each of the 3 kHz analog phone services each of which is converted at the
exchange into 64 kbps PCM circuits.

Yes I know VoIP/ PSTN gateways aren't wide spread, but there must be
a market there somewhere for one of the Telco's to terminate H.323/SIP
calls into and out of the PSTN.  Certainly a lot cheeper than $250!!

Mark