Transact Gungahlin

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Wed Jun 12 17:52:34 EST 2002

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 05:41:28PM +1000, Sam Couter wrote:
> Doug.Palmer at csiro.au <Doug.Palmer at csiro.au> wrote:
> > For large gas pipes, cleaning out deposited water/gunk is a problem. They
> > have "pigs" which squeegee along the pipes, flushing the water out. I would
> > have thought that having cable in the pipes would make this a little
> > difficult.
> >
> > Does this build-up not become a problem in smaller gas pipes?
>
> I would imagine that the gas pipes remain just that, gas pipes, and that
> the Transact cables run inside the same conduit (or inside parallel
> conduits), but not inside the gas pipes themselves. So the pigs would be
> unencumbered by cables.

Do the gas pipes have surrounding conduits?  I don't see that they'd
need them.

> I believe there is a certain amount of physical seperation required
> between gas pipes and anything else (like power or data cables, which
> can become sources of combustion), so it's extremely unlikely that the
> cables are run inside the gas pipes themselves.

That would certainly be true of power lines, and (electrical) data
cables too.  But TransACT is all fibre, so fire risk is not a reason
to not put the cables down the gas pipes themselves.

http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson