Oops - mail read question

Paul Bryan pa_bryan at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 10 13:36:05 EST 2002

Yeah, it seems to be the way. I'm just looking for something that reads mail
and does pgp. Nothing else really!

Maybe I'll have to join one of the projects so I can add the code that I want to
use personally! I might pop over to souceforge as well and have a look. I
haven't done much of this sort of stuff yet - just adding little snippets of
code here and there to a couple of small projects. Should be interesting.

I found Mutt to be pretty good in most things except the ease with which a GUI
lets you swap between folders and the like. The console is great for many
things but sometimes a GUI really adds a lot in terms of usability.

Oh well, the search continues...

Paul.
On 10-Jun-2002 Matthew Hawkins wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I don't really have any opinion on GUI mail readers.  I've never found
> one which quite did everything I needed.  Two of the closest were exmh
> (basically a tcl/tk wrapper around the MH tools) and Emacs' VM.  More
> recently I ran Mozilla's mail client just to see how well it worked, and
> as a replacement for Netscape Communicator 4 I think it does a good job.
> I have also run KMail during a brief stint with KDE and had similar
> problems to what you had, plus I noticed its filtering configuration is
> extremely basic and irritating (for example, it'll let you use pointless
> mail headers to filter on, but won't let you use useful things like
> X-Sender in particular)
>
> I've noticed that recently many GUI MUA's have halted development as the
> authors have felt that they should rather work on another existing
> client for GNOME or KDE.  Should this be a trend I fear that many GUI
> MUA's are going to be more bloated than they should due to the
> requirements of those desktop environments.
>
> Since everyone differs, perhaps the best suggestion I could give you is
> to head over to http://freshmeat.net/ and try everything in the Email
> clients section (http://freshmeat.net/browse/31/?filter=229&topic_id=31)
> until you find something that works for you.
>
> --
> Matt

Paul Bryan
E-Mail: Paul Bryan <pa_bryan at yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 10-Jun-2002
Time: 13:31:42

Doubt is a pain too lonely to know that faith is his twin brother.
- - Kahlil Gibran