Moving /var to a new volume.

Jeremy jepri at webone.com.au
Thu Jun 6 19:04:38 EST 2002

On 2002.06.06 17:34 Chris Fletcher wrote:

> Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to acheive this
> without
> destroying the server :-)

Sam's answer works, but I'd rather boot the machine from a
linux-on-a-cdrom or a really small distro like Trinux.  That way there
are no problems with open files etc.  Just mount old and new partitions
and copy away.  Then change /etc/fstab or whatever and you are done,
easy.

I actually did it Sam's way once and it did involve a fsck on the new
partition.

As an aside, I have actually changed root partitions on a Solaris box.
Their Logical Volume Manager is so good, you can order the LVM to take
control of an ordinary partition, turn it into a logical volume, and
then combine it with partitions on other disks.  I wish Linux's LVM was
that good.