dpkg --get/set-selections

Grant Morphett grant at gmorph.com
Thu Jun 6 19:01:22 EST 2002

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer and what happens.  After I do the

dpkg --set-selections <myselections

I then do a

dpkg --get-selections >newfilename

again to check that the change has taken effect.  However, the only changes that
I see are the few changes from install to deinstall I described below.  I realise
that I will still need to run apt-get etc to actually do the work but from what I
can tell it ain't gonna do much.  I was expecting around 300 extra packages to be
added to the selection list.

Any ideas?

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 18:54:34 +1000 Martijn van Oosterhout scribbled:

>On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 05:15:50PM +1000, Grant Morphett wrote:
>> Ok, so I want to transfer my packages selections from one machine to another.
>So> as per the dpkg man page I do a
>>
>> dpkg --get-selections >myselections
>>
>> on the "source" machine and then transfer myselections to the other machine
>and> do a
>>
>> dpkg --set-selections <myselections
>>
>> However all that seems to happens is a few (4 in total) random packages have
>> changed from install to deinstall but that's it.  What am I doing wrong?
>
>I think you'll need to either use dselect or apt-get dselect-install to
>actually do the work.
>
>--
>Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/
>> There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that can do binary
>> arithmetic and those that can't.

Grant Morphett
GMORPH CONSULTANTS Pty Ltd - Solutions Outside the Square
tel : +61 (0) 421 325348
fax : +1 309 4164790