Moving /var to a new volume.

Sam Couter scouter at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 6 17:51:15 EST 2002

Chris Fletcher <cf at netspeed.com.au> wrote:
> I am sure this has happend to many people at some time or another.  We have
> a freeBSD server and the /var volume has filled up.  We have plenty of room
> on the /usr volume so we would like to move it to there.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to acheive this without
> destroying the server :-)

Boot to single-user mode, or shut down as much stuff as you can.

Move, copy, whatever. Set up symlinks or bind mounts or whatever you
want so that /var actually appears at /var.

Reboot or restart stuff. Reboot if there was stuff you couldn't shut
down (logging daemons and stuff, perhaps), as the file handles those
programs have open will become invalid.

Easy. :)
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:scouter at bigpond.net.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org