What is this access Opera makes?

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Wed Jul 31 22:43:11 EST 2002

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) wrote:
> Yeah, I think they're called web bugs. They can be used to track the
> movement of you browsing the site (and possibly between sites). I
> don't know how well they work via proxies though.

Some proxies will add a "X-Forwarded-For" header to HTTP 1.1 connections
(and just about every web server does 1.1) which will reveal the real IP
of the system behind the firewall (or what have you) accessing the proxy.
Information about the proxy itself is added in a "Via" header.
Both of these can be used to track individuals much more easily through
proxied connections.

--
Matt
"So, logically, if she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood, and therefore a witch!"