LAN - IpCop - Transact

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Tue Jul 30 22:16:09 EST 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:49 am, Phil and Marlene Carter wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We took the plunge into Transact (via Netspeed) . I set up a small home
> network (1 Linux RH 7.2, 1 Win2000, plus Ipcop for a firewall. It all
> sounded so easy while reading HOWTOs (Net, Ethernet, PPP, Ipcop
> installation and administration, Smoothwall docs just for good measure, new
> install of RP-PPPOE. Problem is, I still can't connect...

I have never had any problem getting PPPOE working with TransACT, and I've
used PPPOE under Smoothwall, Mitel's SME (aka E-Smith) and Gibraltar.  The
first two are 2.2 kernel, Gibraltar is 2.4.

Whenever I thought I had a PPPOE problem, it was either:
a) I had my username incorrect (forgot the @webone.com.au)
b) I had the password incorrect (for example, webone only recognise the first
8 characters - if you are with them and gave a longer password, try sending
the first 8 characters only.  This may or may not apply to other TransACT
ISP's, as I have no idea if this limitation is imposed by Webone or
TransACT.)
c) there was a problem at the ISP
d) there was a problem with TransACT

If you have Windows around somewhere, I really would suggest trying to get a
connection using the provided client.  Trust me, the fact that it worked when
they installed it *does not* mean that it is working now.

<snip>

> The Linux box used to be a standalone box with its own firewall (whatever
> RH puts in when you install it). I assume I now don't need this. Could this
> be a contributing factor? How do I uninstall it?

# /usr/sbin/lokkit

Rasjid.