Compiling a LAN driver

Phil and Marlene Carter mcarter at tpg.com.au
Tue Jul 30 22:07:50 EST 2002

G'day all.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my request for help with Transact.

Paul, I read about the problems with RH pppoe early in the piece. I got a new version of rp-pppoe.

Chris, the Transact installers tested the connection while they were here. It worked OK, but I still can't get connected.

I thought I'd compile a new LAN driver from the source that I got with the card, rather than use the generic driver. Simple 5 minute job... Here is the gcc compile command recommended in the doco:

gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c re100tx.c `[ -f /usr/include/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS`

Running this command produces errors such as:

re100tx.c:692: structure has no member named "tbusy"

and no executable. I found a web site that indicated I need some other files, pci-scan.c, pci-scan.h and kern_compat.h. Got them too.

Can someone suggest a reason why this compile didn't work?

Thanks again,

Phil Carter