LAN - IpCop - Transact

Phil and Marlene Carter mcarter at tpg.com.au
Tue Jul 30 10:49:02 EST 2002

Hello all,

We took the plunge into Transact (via Netspeed) . I set up a small home network (1 Linux RH 7.2, 1 Win2000, plus Ipcop for a firewall. It all sounded so easy while reading HOWTOs (Net, Ethernet, PPP, Ipcop installation and administration, Smoothwall docs just for good measure, new install of RP-PPPOE. Problem is, I still can't connect...

I went through a manual install, following the instructions that came with RP-PPPOE, and got a debug file. All the settings look OK, to my un-trained eye.

ADSL-START times out with the error message:

line 193: 16119 Terminated        $CONNECT "$@" > /dev/null 2>&1

In the long term, I'd like to understand what is going on. In the short term, I'd just like to get connected. I've searched the web and mailing list archives looking for a cookbook-style set of instructions. Does anyone know whether such instructions exist, and where I could find them?

Other than the cook-book, where would you suggest I start looking for problems? 2 things I haven't got clear from the docs are:

The relationship between the LAN boxes, the firewall and PPPOE.

The Linux box used to be a standalone box with its own firewall (whatever RH puts in when you install it). I assume I now don't need this. Could this be a contributing factor? How do I uninstall it?

Sorry about the length of this post.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Phil Carter
phil.carter at tpg.com.au