ISP And Contract Issues (was Re: Webone blocking port 25??)

Howard Lowndes lannet at lannet.com.au
Sun Jul 28 08:39:43 EST 2002

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Joshua McKinney wrote:

> I've been using phpwebhosting.com for a coupke of months now, and they
> are the masters of providing special case stuff for me. They only
> allow ssh in not telnet, but I needed it to be available on port 23 to
> get around a firewall at uni and they did it no questions asked.
> This is just one example, there are others.

That shouldn't have been necessary, assuming they have port 23 open behind
_their_ firewall.

ssh -L 23:<remote_host>:23 <remote_host>

in one xterm would have set up a telnet tunnel over the ssh connection,
then you just do:

telnet localhost

in a second xterm and you get a secure telnet connection.

Or is the problem that your firewall won't allow outbound ssh connections?

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people