Webone blocking port 25??

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Jul 26 11:14:17 EST 2002

On Friday, July 26, 2002, at 01:53 , Jason Stokes wrote:

> I think what's happening here is that Paul is arguing from a technical
> point of view ...  Martijn, on the other hand, is arguing some
> political point ...

I think you read it wrong.

Paul was arguing that, in a perfect world where everyone gets along with
everyone else, and all people follow the same moral code, ISPs shouldn't
be blocking anything.

Martijn is arguing that, in the real world where most people are trying
to make a quick buck at the expense of the commons, it is very necessary
to do things like block outgoing connections to certain services.

> If Martijn has any technical arguments to make, I'd like to see them,
> otherwise I think the discussion on free market politics belongs
> elsewhere.

Martijn's point was more training and experience oriented than strictly
technological.
It is an unfortunate truth that The Internet, although being a world of
its own, exists in the "Real World".  The World is not a nice place.
Life is not fair.  People aren't nice to each other.  Lions eat meat
(which happens to come in the form of pretty gazelles or antelope).
Electricity costs money and its production causes lots of carbon
dioxide, sulphuric acid and soot to be released into the atmosphere (or
at least, lots of radioactive waste).  Quarantine is necessary (if you
move overseas, your pets will be three to six months behind you).
Faeces stink.

I think Martijn's advice is very sound.  Starting an ISP is a great way
to learn the lessons that some people obviously need to learn.  Running
any business is as much about politics (of all kinds) as it is about
technology.

Alex