Webone blocking port 25??

Sam Couter sam at topic.com.au
Fri Jul 26 09:51:37 EST 2002

Chris Fletcher <cf at netspeed.com.au> wrote:
> Goodness me - do you think the same would apply for port 80 or port 443?

News flash - port 80 is blocked by many ISPs. But they give you a way to
browse the web anyway. It's called a proxy server.

Blocking port 25 and providing an SMTP server willing to relay
legitimate messages is exactly the same thing.

> Why should 25 be treated any different to 80, 21, 443 or any of the other
> important ones.  Or any at all for that matter.  An ISP should provide the
> 'road' and leave it up to me to lock my front door.

To continue your analogy past the point of rediculous:

1) Cars are inspected by qualified and approved mechanics to ensure that
they are roadworthy before they are allowed on the road.

2) Drivers are tested and licenced before they are allowed to operate
motor vehicles on the road.

3) While operating these motor vehicles, drivers are required to follow
certain rules like driving on the left, obeying speed limits, giving way
in certain circumstances.

Parallel points in the Internet world:

1) Windows boxes wouldn't pass even a basic Internet-worthiness test.
They're a menace to the people who use them as well as everyone else on
the Internet.

2) Most people don't know how to drive a computer and would be incapable
of getting a licence, even if the testing were as lax as driving tests
are today.

3) It's up to the individual ISP to define the rules on their roads, so
if they don't want you to drive on port 25, you can't.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at topic.com.au
Internet Engineer   |  jabber:sam at jabber.topic.com.au
tSA Consulting      |  http://www.topic.com.au/