Webone blocking port 25??

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Thu Jul 25 22:55:04 EST 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:44 pm, Jeremy wrote:
> The best solution for me would be an authenticating SMTP server
> accessable from anywhere on the web.  I haven't seen any ISPs do it,
> but I suspect that some of those boutique email companies would.

I know there was a contributed addon to Mitel SME, which was basically POP3
authentication before SMTP.  When you check your email via POP3 (with SSL I
hope!) it would add your IP address to the 'allowed hosts' for 10 minutes.

This would allow remote users with laptops etc to send out mail via the SME
server, regardless of where they were, but without turning the server into an
open relay for all the wonderful spammers out there.

Rasjid.