Webone blocking port 25??

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Thu Jul 25 16:48:49 EST 2002

At 3:29 PM +1000 02/7/25, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>This brings up a small point I've been wondering about. Both IE and netscape
>have always dealt with email accounts by specifying POP3 and SMTP servers
>for each account. Given the restrictions needed to prevent open-relays,
>wouldn't it make more sense to have the account specify a POP3 server and
>have the SMTP server specified by the connection (ie ISP you're dialing
>into).

Your ISP's SMTP server usually won't relay mail unless the "From: " address is a local account.

Kim

Kim Holburn  Network Consultant  Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)