Webone blocking port 25??

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Thu Jul 25 15:29:10 EST 2002

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 12:03:50PM +1000, Kim Holburn wrote:
> At 10:52 AM +1000 2002/07/25, Paul Bryan wrote:
> >
> >I was just wondering why you might not use your ISP's mail relay?
>
> You want to send mail from another account.  Tying your email to an ISP
> doesn't necessarily make any sense.  I usually don't bother with the
> "free" email accounts I get with ISPs.  Especially if you travel a lot or
> want to keep a single email address at home and work.  WebOne's and most
> ISP's email servers will only accept mail from a local account and usually
> authenticate by IP, so you can't send mail when you're not logged in at
> home.  That's just ridiculous these days.  It's just too complicated
> changing email addresses constantly.  Might help with the spam problem I
> guess.

This brings up a small point I've been wondering about. Both IE and netscape
have always dealt with email accounts by specifying POP3 and SMTP servers
for each account. Given the restrictions needed to prevent open-relays,
wouldn't it make more sense to have the account specify a POP3 server and
have the SMTP server specified by the connection (ie ISP you're dialing
into).

--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/