Webone blocking port 25??

Paul Bryan pa_bryan at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 25 13:24:05 EST 2002

I tend to agree. You pay for it you should get "proper" service. That said, I
guess we do live in the real world and not everything is always peachy :-(

I suppose it depends on how cynical you are about your ISP. I haven't any
problems with netspeed but I suppose if they did start doing things I didn't
agree with and weren't going to change, I'd be kinda' stuck until my contract
ran out and I could find another ISP.

I have however, found them to be very helpful and willing to discuss any
issues that I've had. In my experience, this has been the norm (excluding
perhaps, large compaines like telstra where service level seems to vary
widely!). I used to get good support from Dynamite until they were bought out
by consecutively larger companies which provided worse service with each new
owner. So when the contract ran out, we said see ya! Oh, what a happy day
that was ;).

I think when that an attitude of trying to change things that are wrong is
better than ignoring / working around the problem. Yeah sure, leave the ISP
if they're not doing the right thing but make sure they know that's why - at
least if enough people do that maybe they'll change what they're doing.

I mean this in a broad sense too - like a website "optimized" for microsoft.

That's my 2 cents anyway...

Paul.

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:59, Sam Couter wrote:
> Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
> > These are potential reasons:
> >
> > 1) It's broken
>
> Call them, tell them to fix it. Don't pay them money if they're not
> providing you with the service they're supposed to provide.
>
> > 2) It's blacklisted (see (1))
>
> See (1). If enough people head for another ISP that's not blacklisted,
> the blacklisted ISP will eventually get the hint.
>
> Additionally, attempt to educate your ISP as to *why* they're being
> blacklisted, and what they can do about it.
>
> > 3) It's configured to restrict attachment sizes and you (for whatever
> > perverse reason) just *have* to send 10Mb attachments via email every day
>
> Then the problem isn't with your ISP.
>
> > 4) You have political/pseudo-technical reasons for not using their mail
> > relay (eg: they're using Microsoft Exchange, which you don't like/trust,
> > which case see (1))
>
> See (1).
>
> If trust is the problem, you could also think about sending
> encrypted/signed email.
>
> > 5) Their relay won't forward encrypted or signed email (eg: many
> > Government Departments in the ACT have configured their mail systems to
> > reject encrypted messages, so I have to turn off GPG signatures when
> > emailing my brother, sister-in-law, cousin, uncle, etc at work) - see (1)
>
> See (1).
>
> Short story: If you're not getting the service you're paying for, stop
> paying for it. If you're not getting a service that you expect but
> aren't paying for, review your expectations.

- --
Paul Bryan
E-Mail: pa_bryan at yahoo.co.uk

PGP Key
http://www.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB1D405DA

...the Soviets have the capability to try big projects.  If there is a goal,
such as when Gorbachev states that they are going to have nuclear-powered
aircraft carriers, the case is closed -- that is it.  They will concentrate
on the problem, do a bad job, and later pay the price.  They really don't
care what the price is.
- -- Victor Belenko, MiG-25 fighter pilot who defected in 1976
   "Defense Electronics", Vol 20, No. 6, pg. 100