Webone blocking port 25??

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Jul 25 09:41:33 EST 2002

On Thursday, July 25, 2002, at 12:13 , David Clarke wrote:

> Not sure that they'll fix it, I emailed them about it and got an email
> back about it being in place to stop something from happening....

Any ISP worth their salt *should* block port 25 outgoing, and require
clients to send mail through the ISP's relay.  Mainly to prevent
Microsoft Outlook being used as a viral proliferator.  There's also the
advantage of having a virus scanner being run over your mail inbound and
outbound.

I'm of split minds as to whether it would be reasonable to expect the
ISP to poke holes in their firewall for clients who ask.  After all -
all it takes is for one virus to get into your only Windows box, and
you've just become part of the problem.

If you're concerned about other people snooping on your email as it
passes through the ISP's relay, use encryption.

Alex