Wireless bridging

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Sun Jul 21 23:41:09 EST 2002

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 06:35:55PM +1000, Jeremy wrote:
> I did have a look at your page earlier but moved on because I have orinoco cards
> (hermes chipset).

They're actually the same chipset - Prism2 is used in almost every
802.11b wireless card.  But they do have somewhat different firmwares.

> After posting I looked into it a bit more and tracked the error down to hermes_bap_pread
> in orinoco.c  If someone can tell me what a BAP is I might actually be enthused
> enough to do some debugging.

A BAP is a "Buffer Access Path" - the means used to read and write the
memory buffers in the cards.  Each one consists of a selector, offset
and data register - set the selector and offset, then read or write
the data sequentially via the data register.

But I suspect this is a red herring.  The problem is probably
structural, and probably quite simple to fix.

http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson