Wireless bridging

Jeremy jepri at webone.com.au
Sun Jul 21 12:31:24 EST 2002

>One of the issues that I wonder about is what happens if someone cruising
>past uses your link to launch a DoS attack or upload some illegal material

>or whatever. What recourse do you have if the Feds come knocking on your door?

I must be really naive because that didn't occur to me at all.  My ISP doesn't
mind me sharing the connection, but they would certainly blame me for any bad
stuff done on my link.

I can just imagine the police taking my statment.  "uh-huh.  Right.  Some guy
pulled up outside your house in a car and magically accessed your internet connection.
 Without wires?  You're really funny.  Pass me the phone book, somebody"

>Don't want to be a party pooper, just curious about our obligations in an
>Internet-connected society.

I'm really begining to understand the dismay of the internet old-timers who
have seen their playground turned into some kind of war.  Naturally anyone with
the frame of mind to 'steal' bandwidth would also want to use it for nefarious
purposes.

Anyone honest would probably not use my gateway, just assuming I was a n00b
who didn't know how to set it up properly.