Wireless bridging

Damien Elmes clug at repose.cx
Sat Jul 20 16:11:11 EST 2002

Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> writes:

> On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Jeremy wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried bridging a wireless and  wired network?  I've just
>> spent the whole night trying and it seems to be impossible.  The
>> highlight was the point where I had the bridge interface responding to
>> pings from both sides, but still not bridging.
>
> Yeah, I talked about it at last CLUG meeting (or so). The way I got it
> working is documented at:
>
> http://www.stillhq.com/cgi-bin/getpage?area=prism2ap&page=index.htm
>
> This site might go away for a little while this week as the colo
> arrangements change...
>
> Note that this isn't how I do it any more. This is because it mean
> unencrypted traffic going out on my driveway. The way I do it now is:
>
>  - wireless machines are in their own IP range with own DHCP server
>  - wireless machines can all ssh to firewall (and that is all)
>  - I use a ppp over ssh vpn for the wireless machines when I want to
>    get to the big bad internet or wired network. Yay crypto.
>
> Therefore there is no free wireless internet at my house. Sorry folks.

I do something similar, except use cipe in preferenece to ssh vpn. I also
block all incoming&outgoing traffic on the wireless interface bar the UDP cipe
port - this prevents things like samba broadcasting out on that network, and
also means someone sitting outside my house can't attempt to brute force my
passwords with no trail like connections from internet addresses would give
you.

Regards,

--
Damien Elmes